K's Reviews > My Man Jeeves

My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

F_50x66
Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, humorous-or-trying-to-be
Recommended for: someone in search of light, undemanding entertainment, especially on audio
Read from February 03 to 06, 2011

Sometimes -- rarely -- something is over-the-top, formulaic, predictable, silly, and yet I find myself suspending my innate snarkiness and just giggling along with the fun. Such was my first encounter with Jeeves, Bertie Wooster's butler in this series and a fabulous straight man. Every time the audiobook reader intoned, in Jeeves's deep and serious voice, "If I may, sir...," I felt a reflexive Pavlovian giggle welling up. This was great for audio -- light and entertaining without requiring too much concentration.

Although it's not a five-star book, I certainly would have given this four stars if not for the unnecessary and far less charming Reggie Pepper stories. It's interesting that the formula that worked so well with Jeeves as a character worked far less well in his absence. I'm looking forward to my next encounter with Jeeves, although I will first take a break as I could see this getting too repetitive over time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Man Jeeves.

02/03/2011
22.0% "This is fun! I can see why so many people like this. Too bad it took me so long to get to it, but better late than never."
02/05/2011
66.0% "Although all the stories are kind of formulaic, Jeeves makes up for that. Too bad he's absent in the Reggie Pepper stories."
show 1 hidden update…