Joshua's Reviews > Watership Down

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Feb 04, 08

bookshelves: classics, favorites
Recommended for: Anyone looking to rekindle their love for books
Read in January, 1993

There are many holes in my life when it comes to memory, holes that one can fill with a Buick. I don't remember my first kiss. I don't even remember all the places I've visited and lived in. Yet, I do remember the film that sparked my love for movies (Indiana Jones), and the one book that made me a life-long reader. Watership Down is that book. Even 15 years later, I remember how I felt when the "unimportant" Hazel lead a group of rabbits to a better and new life. I remember the bravery and sacrifice of the rabbit Bigwig, and how the courage he showed moved something in my otherwise young heart. Watership Down was a classic when I first read it, and remains a classic even as I grow older and more cynical in my life.
This is a beautiful and moving story of friendship and sacrifice. Intended for young adults, I still feel that its words will resonate with the more "mature" reader. Whenever I go to a bookstore I still see this proudly displayed and from time to time, people stopping, picking it up and remarking on the impression this book left on them years before. A heartfelt classic that still brings with it fresh memories years later. Reading it feels simply like coming home. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watership Down.

message 1: by Akira (new) - added it

Akira if you cant remember your first kiss then it wasnt worth remembering, waterhip down is definatly worth remembering. i couldnt forget it if i tried, great review, thanks

Lisa Your review pretty much summed up everything I was thinking. This book still remains one of the best books I have ever read (almost twenty years later).
Thanks for the wonderful review!