Jimmy Corvan's Reviews > Shadow of the Giant

Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card

Feb 14, 11

Read from February 03 to 14, 2011

I couldn't be happier with how this series ended.

I feel like this book was just OSC showing off. It was as if he were attempting to write a book to show other authors how to develop characters. OSC took characters that the reader previously held in high regard and easily made them a villain as well as took previously, unlikeable characters and turned them to into charismatic heroes. It was a real treat to see these kids grow up and find out what happens to every story line.

While I don't want to give anything away, the end of this book is basically a dream for any fan of the series. Ever since I started the Shadow series, I've wanted one conversation to happen, and OSC does not fail in the powerful and moving dialogue which closes the final chapter of this series.

I'm a little torn about having Ender in Exile to follow up this book as I feel like I don't need anything else from these characters...however, as I said above, I feel like I've seen all these kids grow up and thus, I want to know as much as I can about their lives. I certainly do not expect EiE to compare to this final installment, but I am excited about it, nevertheless

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow of the Giant.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew I absolutely loved EiE, but maybe because I hadn't read OSC in a few years, and he's so good. That said, the only characters pulled over are Ender and V, and Graff to some respects, so don't worry about him ruining any characters for you. I thought the book was fantastic, and I'm stoked someone else is finally going to read it.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Allen I thought you'd like that last scene. I would put down OSC for a while, and then return to EiE. I find it is better not to binge on a good author