Beth Hartnett's Reviews > The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks, and Giants of the Ocean

The Wave by Susan Casey

Feb 03, 2011

I'm certainly on a roll with my book selections this month as I absolutely devoured this one. The author lives up just up the pineapple field from legendary surfer, Laird Hamilton, in Maui (must be nice) and the reader is treated to an inside view of the world of the true, big wave surfers. I'm talking about the ones who first tried hitching a ride on a jet ski to surf a 50+ foot wave and the ones who redesigned boards to do just that. Casey makes you understand the thrills, the dangers, and even the feel of this experience as she immerses herself in their lives. But that is not all, the book chapters on surfing are interspersed with other aspects of big wave lore and history, like research ship experiences in the North Sea, scientific conferences, insurance implications from a Lloyd's of London perspective, and even perspectives from a salvage company in South Africa. I ran right out and picked up her 2005 book on great white sharks...ooh, scary, but then again, I'm not so sure I'd jump at the chance to take a long cruise out in the open ocean any time soon after reading The Wave.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wave.