Kate's Reviews > Stolen: A Letter to My Captor

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: 3genre-fiction, 1age-senior-high, 1age-middle-school, 1age-junior-high
Read from February 03 to 14, 2011

Gemma is traveling through the Bankok airport with her parents when their flight is delayed. She wanders to the airport cafe while she waits for her flight to board, where she meets a handsome young man who seems familiar. She sits down to have a hot chocolate with him and begins to feel funny, dizzy and sleepy. She realizes she has been drugged too late. He takes her on antoher flight, dresses her in new clothes and wig and after passing out for a while, she wakes up in the Austrailian outback. Living in a small shack her her captor, Ty, who believes that he has saved her.

Gemma begs and pleads with Ty to let her go, but he is determined that they are going to live there, happily together. The environment around them is devoid of water or life, and the nearest human civilization is hundreds of miles away. Gemma is foreced to consider the fact that she is stuck with Ty.

I just finished this book and it is hard to describe how it has made me feel. It is a complicated book, but life is complicated so I am glad it is realistic. Christopher does a fantastic job making the reader feel just as conflicted about Ty as Gemma does. I don't think it will be easy for me to sort out how I feel about him. I am not sure if I liked the "letter to my captor" format. It felt kinda like second person, but not quite. But I think that it worked well for Gemma to express her feelings. This was the last of my 2011 Printz books to read, congrats to the committee on their excellent choices!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.