Barb's Reviews > The Dark Enquiry

The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Jul 24, 11

bookshelves: hf-victorian-1837-1901, new-in-2011, read-in-2011, series-trilogy, most-disappointing
Read in July, 2011

I was really disappointed by this installment of the Lady Julia series. I am not easily offended and I appreciate sick humor but there were a few things that I had difficulty with and was surprised that Deanna Raybourn included in this story.

I didn't care for the view of Julia as somewhat flakey and I hate to say it but this story reminded me of Tahsa Alexander's Lady Emily books.

I have always been a huge fan of Deanna Raybourn and I feel like I am being disloyal by posting this unfavorable review but I have to be honest, I was really disappointed by this installment. I hope the next one will be better but maybe this series has fizzled out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Enquiry.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat Another GR giveaway!!

message 2: by Barb (new) - rated it 1 star

Barb AWESOME! Thanks Pat!
How did I miss these? I just looked at the GR
first reads this morning.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I couldn't make it past #2 of this series (and that only because I'd promised daughter I'd read it).

Jody weeping....say it isn't so :(

message 5: by Barb (new) - rated it 1 star

Barb I wish it wasn't true

Jaima I still liked this one, but I totally agree with you re: the Lady Emily series. I just couldn't like her. Lady Julia is a much more engaging protagonist.

Meghan I'm a fan of the series and I have to say that your review sums up exactly what I thought of this book. So glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head at Julia's sudden silliness.

Stella Luceat You said, "I am not easily offended and I appreciate sick humor but there were a few things that I had difficulty with and was surprised that Deanna Raybourn included in this story." I am terribly curious what it was you found offensive. Honestly. I'm not coming from an argumentative stand, really. I'd just like to know bc *I* am very easily offended but can't think of anything distasteful in this book and I am really scratching my head about it. Dark Road to Darjeeling had some stuff that REALLY bothered me, but this one can't remember anything. It was only months ago that I read it too. Only curious. I promise to not even respond if you choose to answer my query, I'm just wondering :)

Chelsea Roston I just started the book and I'm getting Lady Emily flashbacks already. Hikes.

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary Well Barb, I'm terribly curious what you found offensive in this installment. I, too, was disappointed with Julia's flakiness and that development towards the end that just appeared out of nowhere. What a waste of a perfectly good plot point!

message 11: by Barb (new) - rated it 1 star

Barb Mary, I just sent you a PM.