Scott's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

May 28, 07

bookshelves: multiplereads, halcyondaysofmyyouth, post-college, alltimefavorites
Read in January, 2008

There are some days when I actually think that the humble Hobbit is superior to it's bohemoth brother, The Lord of the Rings . It's a much tighter story, and Bilbo is a much more appeal character than is Frodo. I also just love this poem, from The Hobbit

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away ere break of day
To seek the pale enchanted gold.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gleaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.

On silver necklaces they strung
The flowering stars, on crowns they hung
The dragon-fire, in twisted wire
They meshed the light of moon and sun.

Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day,
To claim our long-forgotten gold.

Goblets they carved there for themselves
And harps of gold; where no man delves
There lay they long, and many a song
Was sung unheard by men or elves.

The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night.
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light.

The bells were ringing in the dale
And men looked up with faces pale;
The dragon's ire more fierce that fire
Laid low their towers and houses frail.

The mountain smoked beneath the moon;
The dwarves, they heard the tramp of doom.
They fled their hall to dying fall
Beaneath his feet, beneath the moon.

Far over the misty mountains grim
To dungeons deep and caverns dim
We must away, ere break of day,
To win our harps and gold from him

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen Fato My first copy (I have multiple copies of MANY of my books)is worn and the pages are yellowed. There is nothing like a worn out book.I was introduced to this wonderful book when I was eleven years old. The chapter entitled "Riddles in the Dark" was in our reader. I've read that chapter a million times and the book just as many. There is nothing like curling up with a well-worn book from your childhood.

message 2: by Rob (last edited Sep 26, 2007 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob I agree. I love the trilogy, but I've always found the Hobbit to be better than the trilogy. Don't get me wrong - I love the other three works, but there is something about The Hobbit's simplicity that has made me reread it a few times over. A great book for anyone, any age.

Erein Absolutely agree :)

Amanda I agree as well. The Hobbit has a charming quality that the Lord of the Rings lacks. It is a wonderful adventure story that could stand well enough on its own without the larger Lord of the Rings Saga.

Susie Pozgay "Tighter" is the first word that comes to mind for me as well. Tolkien wrote this after the trilogy, and it shows. Perhaps he relaxed when he wrote this; the story certainly is simpler. Of course he is not juggling around as many characters as in his trilogy.

Susan Katz I'm glad to see that other folks also prefer The Hobbit. For me, I think it's primarily because I love Bilbo so much (I agree with you that Frodo is a lesser character). He's such an unlikely hero, and the humor is wonderful - I laugh at it again even when I know what's coming.

Jillian I agree! A few years ago my sister's fifth grade class performed an adaptation of The Hobbit and they set that poem to music. It was so haunting; very cool to hear.

Julienne Brilliant! I have loved The Hobbit since I got my first copy when I was a child. I think it is better than Lord of the Rings and that is high praise!

Micheline The Hobbit definitely has more of a magic than the LOTR trilogy, and that coupled with it's simplicity sets it apart. This coming from a huge LOTR fan :)

Fictionfan I love the Hobbit, and count it as one of the best books out there. And I too, love "Over the misty mountains cold". I have read and listened to the Hobbit multiple times and probably will again. If you listen to the audio book, I strongly suggest the version read by Rob Inglis. He not only is a VERY good reader, but he actually sings all of the songs and poems ion the book. And he does it very well, too.

Brett I agree! Much as I love LotR, "The Hobbit" is still my favorite

message 12: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Completely agree! Not that the series isn't a favorite but the Hobbit stood out and will remain a book I reread, even though I had to purchase several copies of this one as my original copy was literally falling at the seams.

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian I agree with your assessment. It's a tighter story, with LOTR sometimes I felt that things were thrown in occasionally as an after thought. The Hobbit never feels that way.

Leonardo Rosenthal I would say that Lord of the Rings, in comparison, have the same appeal than The Hobbit. Both have it's flaws and good sides and both are also epic beyond believe.

Hercules Real Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with 'The Hobbit?' If this is better than LOTR, then I'm sure I won't appreciate LOTR since I thought 'The Hobbit' was boring.

Katie No, don't worry. When I first read the hobbit, and then The Lord of the rings, I liked lotr more. But now, after re-reading the hobbit, I can appreciate it more, knowing more about middle-earth. So definitely give lotr a try. They're fantastic.

message 17: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Love that poem

Steve Lorey I've always thought the Hobbit was superior to the LOTR and Bilbo a greater character than Frodo.

Lehanne Agree! :)

message 20: by Zoe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zoe I must say I've always preferred Frodo. Both are brilliant characters, but completely different styles. To me, Frodo just seems to have more depth. He has all the wisdom and self-sacrifice and suffering and mercy (okay, I'll stop that list there) whereas Bilbo is a much simpler, lighthearted character.

Spencer Whetstone Of course Frodo comes off second best to Bilbo, Sam is the real hero of The LOTR. Liked
Your review.

message 22: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh Goldman I think hobbits better every day

Cheshire Kitty I have to agree. While Frodo is definitely braver, Bilbo is funny and unlikely. I also like Gollum's riddles as they are no doubt invented by Tolkien. I have read this book numerous times after I first read it as a second grader, and love it because it is inspiring, giving me great ideas and nurturing my wish to become a fantasy author. The songs and poetry spoke to me too, and I can safely say that reading this book helped me to become a better person.

message 24: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy I agree with you, the hobbit seemed to be an easier read than the lord of The rings more a page turner. It may be because I read the hobbit first before the Lord of the rings.

Chad & Neely Silverman My name is Asher but the a is pronounced like a u. I also like poem & the review is good is good it tells alot & my friends loveit &have you tried artemis fowl please answer back ASAP

Elke Burgin .kioq