Suzanne's Reviews > Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later

3199097
Feb 03, 2011

did not like it
Read from June 26 to 29, 2012

I really can't believe I rated this book one star. I mean, I was so excited for it, and despite the rather terrible reviews from other readers, I still held out hope that I, being the diehard Sweet Valley fan I was growing up, would still enjoy it. As you can see, I was wrong.

Reading this book would be the equivalent of taking one of your favorite childhood memories, then going back in time to relive it, only to discover it was not a good memory at all. Let's say your favorite childhood memory is of being at a park with your family. You remember your father pushing you on the swing, the gentle, salty breeze blowing on your face while your mother stands smiling a few feet in front of you. Now, let's relive it. Instead of being pushed on a swing, you were just pushed to the floor. The salty breeze? Actually the smell of sewer. And the smile on your mother's face is because she is strung out on bath salts staring at you because you suffer from delicious face syndrom and finds this whole situation hilarious. This is the kind of life ruining I experienced by reading this book.

I was so fanatical about Sweet Valley. I read every book. I watched the T.V. show. I had the Sweet Valley dolls (The Prom Dolls featured on this page http://hbc.djarv.co.uk/sweet_valley_h...) and I would interchange their outfits and make them pretend to be each other, all the while never being fooled by who was who. Ok, you don't really need to hear about what a nerd I was, so moving on.

My point is, I remember the series as being fun and entertaining, and nothing short of addicting. Jessica was always a bit misguided, and Elizabeth was always a bit stiff, but at the end of the day, they were there for each other. At least, in my memory. And my memory of Sweet Valley would never have been so thoroughly corrupted had Francine Pascal decided not to jump on the hot and awesome train of young adult fever. Because let’s be honest, if the Young Adult genre wasn’t so smoking right now, good old Fran would have probably left Sweet Valley in retirement, where I am beginning to think it belonged.

In this book, Jessica was so completely shallow and one dimensional. Everything is about her, and I couldn’t relate to her at all; a character I once adored, and she was meaningless to me. Elizabeth was whiny and not at all proactive. In my memory I always recall Elizabeth handling things maturely and like an adult, so explain to me why 10 years later she is practically more immature than Jessica. This betrayal was a complete joke. No spoilers, as always, but the situation was completely unrealistic, even without my memories of the characters from Sweet Valley High. It was a “hey, let’s throw this in, and oooh, let’s throw that in, and they will never see this coming!” shock factor writing style, which instead of causing shock, made this a no-plot-whatsoever-drag-of-a-story-which-probably-shouldn’t-have-been-written-much-less-read. Not to mention the ridiculous ending.

If you want my opinion, I would say no matter how avid of a fan you were of Sweet Valley growing up, skip this book and keep your memories intact. Otherwise, you may find yourself wondering if all the books were really this terrible, and questioning why you were ever the type of person who would read them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Valley Confidential.

06/26/2012 page 22
06/27/2012 page 91
31.0% "I'm sorry to say, I'm beginning to believe "10 years later" translates to "10 times crappier...""
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by April (new) - added it

April What a shame. :/ I was excited for this too, but not anymore.

message 2: by April (new) - added it

April I scheduled this to go live on my blog wednesday morning at 6 am. <3 Finally got around to it. hope you're having a great weekend!

Suzanne Cool! That is awesome. My weekend is going pretty great. I hope you and Brian are having fun celebrating!

Angie Great review.

Suzanne Angie wrote: "Great review."

Thank you!