M.'s Reviews > Stray

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: books-with-stupid-annoying-heroines
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2011

*SPOILERS*

After finishing this book I still maintain that I don't get why a lot of people hate Faythe. She is not the worst heroine by far, actually she is one of my favorites. I can name much worst heroines from popular series such as MacKayla from Fever(I hate her guts), Rose from VA (I have love/hate feelings towards her), Eugenie from Dark Swan (how could she cheat on Dorian?).
Faythe had every reason to act the way she did. She wanted to be one of the boys but kept being pushed back because she was a girl. Even though her father trained her and everything, she still felt caged. Come on, he kept her in the cage for 2 weeks! Is it so wrong that she didn't want to get married at the age of 18 but instead wanted to go to school like any normal person? It sounded like the fact her father 'allowed' her to do so was a favor and not a right she had.
She also didn't run away for the second time like I was led to believe by other reviews. Yes, she considered it, but she changed her mind. She was confused and wanted sometime alone to process what happened between her and Marc. She got caught inside her father's property, it was just bad luck on her side.
Marc is a neanderthal. His possessive behavior, bad temper doesn't do for me. I couldn't believe he almost killed Jace. The only reason I'm giving this book 4 stars instead of 5 is because Faythe got back together with Marc. After all the huffing and puffing she just gave in. Pathetic. I just hope they break up again. I know they will probably end up together anyways, but I don't want to read about their relationship for the next 5 books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stray.

Little Butterfly Werecats? like Werewolfs? sounds good. how do you like it so far?

message 2: by M. (last edited Mar 31, 2011 01:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. I am loving it! I got hooked from the first page. Usually the first books in a series is kind of a tough read for me because of the world building. I usually don't have a lot patience for that, even though it's necessary. But with this book, the world building happens at the same time the action is happening. The heroine is not some clueless girl who has no idea about her heritage (which seems to be the norm for most PNR and UF series out there). She knows where she is from and she doesn't agree with the way things are. She is trying to fight the system.
Thank God this series is complete cause I sense there will be some love triangle in the near future and I would hate to wait to find out who she will pick.