Kirsten's Reviews > On Elegance While Sleeping

On Elegance While Sleeping by Emilio Lascano Tegui

Mar 07, 11

Read in February, 2011

This book was highly original in terms of its subject, approach to form and style. The writer shows his deep thought he has consecrated to observing the human condition, and it is frequently funny, witty and irreverant. However, the writing sometimes felt obscure, and several times I had to re-read and even re-re-read sections as they didn't make any sense. They may have been beautiful but they didn't seem to mean anything that I could grip on to.
An example of the enjoyable eccentricity of writing in this book can be found in the author's observation that there are people who worship the book as a fetish object, "like the eighteenth-century woman who liked lace so much she cut it up and ate it in a tortilla."
Considering that this book was written in 1925 it is daring and avant-garde. I don't feel like I understood the book, but from what I know of the author, and from what I have read in the book itself, I would not be surprised if this is the last thing the author wanted. Definitely one to read again.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Elegance While Sleeping.