Chibineko's Reviews > Phantom Evil

Phantom Evil by Heather Graham

Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: harlequin, netgalley, paranormal-romance
Read from February 03 to 06, 2011

I'll admit that Graham's work has kind of suffered over the last few years, with some of her books not even holding a candle to how wonderful the earlier books were. (I don't know of many people who liked Dust to Dust, a title that has sat around on my bookstore shelves gathering well, dust.) She's released some stuff that's been pretty decent, but again- not stuff that's along the quality lines of her earlier releases. I almost passed this book up until I realized that it was an Adam Harrison book. Even though he's almost always a non-major character in the books, the ones that feature him are almost always great reads. This one generally followed that rule.

I was sucked into this book incredibly quickly & I feel that most readers will be as well. I was also quite taken with both the official pairing in this book as well as the potential pairings for future books as well. (I doubt this book will be the last we've seen of this team.) The plot moves along very quickly & I was glad to see that the couple in this book doesn't play a huge amount of love games.

The only downfall to this book is that while the premise is wonderful & the interaction between our two leads has tons of chemistry, the "whodunnit" of the book just seemed a little well, farfetched & overly complicated. There's several different things going on at once & the ending just seemed a little rushed, as if Graham had intended for something more & just ran out of room. I couldn't help but feel like it was just a teensy bit anti-climactic.

Overall though, this was an incredibly fun read & it's very much a turn in the right direction for Graham. It's not a complete return to her earlier greatness but it's in the same vein- enough so that longtime fans will enjoy this book & new readers will find themselves wanting to read more of her work.

(ARC provided by Netgalley)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom Evil.

02/03/2011 page 10
3.0% "Looks to be standard Graham fare so far. Good Graham fare, that is. Ghost kids just creep me out, so I hope it stays creepy!"
02/04/2011 page 140
35.0% "What a surprisingly grotesque scene for a Heather Graham book. It's not nearly as explicit as other similar scenes I've read, but it's pretty graphic for a HG scene involving kids."