Jake's Reviews > Batman: Heart of Hush

Feb 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel, batman, action
Read on February 03, 2011

The original Hush, the one that created the character, was described to me as the ultimate love-it-or-hate-it Batman tale. And, I don't know if I was really either, but "really like it" doesn't sound quite as gripping. I dug it because it was a fun mystery that involved all of the classic villains working intricately, some with others and some independently. There were a few holes, but the story didn't take itself serious enough to put weight on those holes.

The sequel, done by Paul Dini (co-creator of the favored 90s animated television series) instead of Jeph Loeb (the originator of Hush), kind of takes itself too seriously. Hush was never a whimsical character. He's built entirely out of anger. And there was never any theatrics to him, but there was a certain quality of humor or irony to him. In this one, he's just hate and not really that much fun.

However, he does continue to have one of the sickest costumes in comics, I think. Trenchcoat, body armor and face bandages with two guns that he loves shooting? Come on. That shit is rad.

Also, the Joker in both Hush storylines has been kind of my favorite. In the first one, he seem reasonable, but only because he's so inside his own insanity. He's fun and he loves violence, but he likes it on his terms and likes being Gotham's Number One Enemy. In this one, he's in jail and watches Batman pummel Dr. Crane. As he watches the violence, he says, "Better than Christmas. Swear to God."

The story evolves the dynamic of Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle, which is always solid. And it still had a lot of moments of intrigue. But, overall, it lacked the big pay-off and even the build-up I was hoping for or expecting. It was good and I wasn't really disappointed, but it seemed like it too itself way too seriously without having the edginess that's required for stuff like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.