Ülle's Reviews > Tau Zero

2094044
Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy
Read from February 02 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** To me, this story was about all the little things that make us human. How do you keep on going, when everyone and everything you have ever known, has died millions of years ago? Humans as a species are extremely adaptable and there is also that saying that a person can get used to almost anything over time. But what happens when you are left completely isolated from everything familiar, when you don't even have the stars around you to light up the sky and you are the only living thing left in the whole universe? This sense of hopelessness and resignation was well captured in the minds and actions of the characters. In general, while I was intrigued enough by the main characters to keep me interested in their personal affairs, I would have liked to grow more attached to the supporting characters as well. But what the story lacked in memorable characters (the main protagonist, Karl excluded), it made up in the bigger scheme. There is a sense of eternity to the fact that one can witness the death of the universe and then be reborn in the next cycle and go for a new round. Also the whole idea of having a speed faster than anything else - crossing galaxies in mere hours - and reaching the end of the universe as we know it in a matter of months - it is one of the most fascinating ones I have come upon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tau Zero.