Lorena's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Quotes Lorena Liked

Harper Lee
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Harper Lee
“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”

Harper Lee
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Harper Lee
“The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”

Harper Lee
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.”

Harper Lee
“They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”

Harper Lee
“Atticus said to Jem one day, "I’d rather you shot at tin cans in the backyard, but I know you’ll go after birds. Shoot all the blue jays you want, if you can hit ‘em, but remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. "Your father’s right," she said. "Mockingbirds don’t do one thing except make music for us to enjoy. They don’t eat up people’s gardens, don’t nest in corn cribs, they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

Harper Lee
“Atticus, he was real nice."

"Most people are, Scout, when you finally see them.”

Harper Lee
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)... There are just some kind of men who - who're so busy worrying about the next world they've never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.”

Harper Lee
“It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”

Harper Lee
“Atticus told me to delete the adjectives and I'd have the facts.”

Harper Lee
“People in their right minds never take pride in their talents.”

Harper Lee
“As you grow older, you'll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don't you forget it - whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, he is trash.”

Harper Lee
“With him, life was routine; without him, life was unbearable.”
tags: love

Harper Lee
“Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win.”

Harper Lee
“If there's just one kind of folks, why can't they get along with each other? If they're all alike, why do they go out of their way to despise each other? Scout, I think I'm beginning to understand something. I think I'm beginning to understand why Boo Radley's stayed shut up in the house all this time. It's because he wants to stay inside.”

Harper Lee
“Real courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.”

Harper Lee
“It’s never an insult to be called what somebody thinks is a bad name. It just shows you how poor that person is, it doesn’t hurt you.”
tags: life

Harper Lee
“Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad.”

Harper Lee
“Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'.”

Harper Lee
“I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year.
Scout”

Harper Lee
“There are just some kind of men…who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one.”

Harper Lee
“We're paying the highest tribute you can pay a man. We trust him to do right. It's that simple.”