Savcra19's Reviews > The Rules of Survival

U_50x66
Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: bookshelf-1-10
Read in January, 2011

This is a story written in letter form from a boy named Matt to his younger sister Emmy. This book is about the tragedies that surround child abuse. Everyday seems to be a struggle for Matt and his two younger siblings, Callie and Emmy. Their mother is consistently inconsistent when it comes to parenting her children. She's a giant question mark. But everyone knows she is dangerous and scary. Matt has taken it upon himself to protect his sisters. Matt decides to write this letter to Emmy about their mother and all that she had done to the three of them, because he wants her to know what happened and what he did to keep her safe.

This book was quite tragic. It was gritty and it was real, which made it even more enjoyable. It dealt with some real life issues that not a lot of people get to experience. I felt Matt's pain. I felt his worry. I felt is sorrow. I felt his anger. Matt is the protector, and I really admired that he did what any good hearted person would do--protect those he loved. He was such a strong person. I really believe that this book is great because it's real and because it's very well written.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rules of Survival.