Diane Gihring's Reviews > Eva Luna

bookshelves: latin-american-lit
Recommended to Diane by: Pilar Rotella
Recommended for: Anyone over 14
read count: 2+

I like this book for a lot of reasons. I love the way she has structured the novel. Each chapter goes back and forth between the two main characters: Rolf and Eva. One chapter is about Eva and then the next chapter is about Rolf and we get to see how their separate lives come together and what happens when they meet.

I also really like the story telling aspect of the novel. Eva survives on the streets by her ability to tell a good story. I like to think of Allende in this way, someone who has been able to survive by telling stories-actually thrive is more like it in both cases, with Allende and Eva.

I also like it because it is a picaresque novel and I took a whole class about this genre when I was in grad school with Dr. Pilar Rotella, an awesome prof! She is an expert on the genre and made it a really fun class, introducing me to a lot of different books, including this one. Picaresque is when you have a street rat who survives by his/her wits in a lot of tough episodic situations, rising through the ranks of society and finding out everything is baloney...Alladin is a picaresque story that everyone is familiar with.

I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good story, a little romance, creative stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eva Luna.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly The description is in Spanish. Did you read it in Spanish??? I know some Spanish, but I don't think I could make it through the whole book!

Diane Gihring That's funny. I'll have to pick a different edition! No, I read it in English :)