Jay's Reviews > The Adventures of Little Pegleg the Pirate and Friends

The Adventures of Little Pegleg the Pirate and Friends by D. Alan Hewitt

2419499
Feb 06, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, fantasy, goodreads-giveaways-and-first-reads, kids, philosophy-and-religion, ya
Read from February 02 to 06, 2011

I won this book as part of Goodreads giveaways/first reads. This isn't the type of novel I would typically read, so please keep this in mind.

Pegleg and Friends is a Christian children's novel and the adventure they go on after being chosen by Andrew, one of God's angels, to sail around the world spreading the word of God. The pirate adventures of these children is actually quite cute, and all the kids are quite delightful. D. Alan Hewitt writes quite well, and his language usage is very easy to read, and yet also quite enjoyable.

When reading it, I kept thinking this book would work in a number of settings. Firstly, the chapters could be read to children as part of an ongoing bedtime story. Another thought I had was that it could be used for children attending church. When the family returns home, they could read a chapter together and discuss the meaning of the text in reflection of the Bible, the sermon at church that day and so on. I believe younger children will enjoy the story itself, particularly with the fantastical pirate adventures. Older children (that is, children around the 10-12 age range) would be able to read this story on their own, or younger children (7-10) who have a high reading ability.

Now, about the Christian parts of the novel, as I know some people may have a problem with it. Yes, there is a lot of Christianity in this novel, particularly towards the end. There are also references to real world people and characters (Al Gore and Harry Potter spring to mind) that are given negative portrayals in the book, which I can tell people may have a problem with. The last few chapters also deal with the children being persecuted for spreading the Gospel and God's word and are put on a show trial. I didn't like this part at all, and it left a bad taste in my mouth, particularly when it was compared to Nuremberg (Godwin's Law, anyone?). If it weren't for this part of the novel, I would have actually freely rated this story 4/5 stars.

So regarding the Christianity aspects of the novel for those with children and not raising them under this particular religion. The Adventures of Little Pegleg and the Pirate and Friends could still most definitely be read to your children, but with perhaps more of a, if you believe in yourself you can do anything, type spin, or maybe even with a moral story type background. I think it's important to expose children to all types of religion (atheism and agnosticism included) then completely close them off to everything bar one.

While this is a cute book, it will divide people who read it. It is a fun read- I found the first half particularly amusing- but the second half was just too difficult for me to enjoy. But give it a go yourself- maybe your opinion will be different, dear reader.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Little Pegleg the Pirate and Friends.

02/02/2011 page 15
4.0% "Hey, this book is signed! Awesome."
show 1 hidden update…

Douglas Jay, Thank you for the review. I found it particularly enlightening and straight down the line. Blessings for your time and review. D. Alan Hewitt