LaDonna's Reviews > The Fever Almanac: Poems

The Fever Almanac by Kristy Bowen

Aug 26, 08

bookshelves: poetry, favorites
Read in August, 2008

It is possible for words to break your heart. These poems did their work and then stuck in the cracks, haunting in the middle of the night until I woke up and read more, now, again.

I picked up The Fever Almanac several months ago, with an armful of other poetry. Somehow I let it languish on a shelf for too long, and only recently re-discovered it and realized I hadn't yet read it.

I knew nothing about Kristy Bowen when I opened to the first poem, but I was entranced before I was even halfway through and since then I've just wanted more, more, more.

These poems are lush landscapes from a dark underwater world, peopled by lost girls with delicate wrists, floating in blue dresses with whisps of stormclouds caught in their hair. Beautiful, beautiful.

Part of the magic of Bowen's craft is that you don't fully understand what's going on half the time, but you don't care. You want to remain underwater with her, exploring blue bottles and hunting below the sink for mouse skeletons.

I have let the reading of this book drag on and on so as to prolong it, but I'm done now, and am left feeling wistful and melancholy but oh, so satisfied.

Definitely a Bowen convert from this day forward...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fever Almanac.