Willy's Reviews > Crow Lake

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: fiction, family-tragedy
Read from February 02 to 07, 2011

I agree with some of the review that there was, at times, quite a bit of redundancy. I'm okay with that. I think the best of this book is that the author is able to capture the selfishness of children with honesty. Lawson does many things right in this book including showing how our beliefs make us act in ways that don't necessarily match the circumstance. I vacillate between giving this book five stars and three stars. If you come from a dysfunctional family (I guess most of us do) you may find this book lifts your heart up a bit. If you do not, you may come away feeling like you wasted your time. I am very glad I read this book. It does have some qualities that reminded me of Saint Maybe. This book touched too close to home for me much of the time. The over responsible brother who gives up a future and tries to unilaterally decide the best for the other siblings was achingly painful when combined with his unfocused optimism..

Favorite quote; (said in regard to siblings) "Anything I knew of love, I had learned from them."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow Lake.

02/07/2011 page 189