Lisa's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Jun 10, 11

bookshelves: fiction-young-adult, mystery, book-club, dnf
Recommended to Lisa by: book club
Recommended for: mystery lovers
Read from May 01 to 19, 2011

"Flavia de Luce is not your typical 11 year old..."

OK, I'm fine with that.

"...in 1950s Britain… "

Sounds interesting!

"...the youngest daughter of a dead mother and a distant father..."

Sad, but I might not care.

"...she is obsessed with chemistry, with a particular penchant for poisons."

A penchant for poisons? She is 11? What kind of brat has a penchant for poisons?

"She spends most of her time tormenting (and being tormented by) her older sisters."

At least she is normal in some ways.

"...she finds a dead body in the cucumber patch, it’s positively the most exciting thing that has ever happened."

This kid is sick. A dead body is horrible, not exciting, especially if you happen upon the body yourself.

"For Flavia is determined to solve the mystery before the police do… even if she has to break a law or two to get there."

On no, book club picked a mystery. Isn't there a formula for writing mysteries? I've been trying to understand the appeal of mysteries. Julie told me it is like a mental exercise. Why not try a Suduko or logic puzzle, or just tutor geometry and help your student to solve a great circle (one of my favorites):

Circle O with tangent DE and the measure of the arcs BC: CD: AD: AB=7:8:12:9
Find the measure of all of the numbered angles.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Now there's a little mental exercise and it is much quicker and more fun than reading about a girl with a penchant for poisons!

*Quotes from a professional review or promo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.