Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body!

Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels

Feb 02, 11

Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Jillian Michaels is the weight loss drill sergeant on Biggest Loser but that’s not what sold me on this. I don’t even like reality TV. No, it was the write up for the book that suggested it would give healthy eating suggestions for metabolic issues for being overweight. Having a couple of those, I was intrigued. Overall, I have to say I was impressed with the science and physiology presented in this. I was a doctor and teach science now and a lot of this jived with what I know of physiology so someone did their research. There are healthy food choices, vitamin/supplement suggestions, exercise suggestions naturally and even recipes.

On the downside, her voice in this is a lot like her voice on TV, in other words annoying. I think that’s supposed to be a cheerleader type of thing but it turns me off. It makes me want to do the opposite but I could live with that. While I thought it was a worthwhile book overall there was one thing in this that did suggest Michael has been living a little too well lately, her claim that ANYONE can and MUST buy organics. She contends we can all afford organics and we can cut out things like cell phones, internet and TV if we must to do so.

Frankly, this is so out of touch with reality it hurts. I do try to buy organic when I can. I grow my own. I go to the farmer’s markets and I live alone. I can still barely offered just a few organic things, let alone convert my entire diet to organics. I’m not arguing that the food we buy is bad. It is. I just wanted this book to reflect a little bit more what the middle class/lower class person can do and not rely 100% on food that might be out of our price range. This book made me feel if I couldn’t do that, there wasn’t much point in it. I know that’s not true either but she makes this point so many times and so stridently it was a turn off. I almost didn’t finish the book as a result. Might be one you want to check out in the library before buying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master Your Metabolism.