Kayna Olsen's Reviews > Dust

Feb 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: books-1-10
Read in January, 2011

In the first chapter of this book Robert's younger brother Matthew is kidnapped by an odd sounding man who claims he never had a childhood. The reader and Matthew are the only ones who know what happened. A short while later Abram Harsich shows up and wows the town with his "Mirror of all things" that shows people just want they want most. This story is placed in Saskatchewan, Canada during the dust bowl. After this spectacle the people start to go somewhat loopy and behave as though everything is better than ever. They even start to forget that Matthew was even taken. Robert and his Uncle Alden are the only ones to see right through Harsich and know that he is bad news. It takes a courageous young boy to save an entire town.
I really enjoyed the story line of this book and the witty humor that is seen mostly in the uncle. There are a few things that I felt should have been described more; I felt like I had to guess or assume a few things that I logically should have been told. The beginning and the ending are awesome, but in the middle where I thought there would be more mystery involved, I was let down. I really did enjoy the book though. It gave a really interesting twist to the dust bowl; an interesting story that keeps you wondering what is going on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust.