Erin's Reviews > The Pocket and the Pendant

2320578
Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: ya
Read from February 02 to 04, 2011

This is not my usual genre, so it was with some hesitation that I picked up this book. A friend had recommended it as being in the vein of Harry Potter and thought I should give it a read. While I am clearly not the target audience for this story, which I think would be pre-teens and teens, I quite enjoyed The Pocket and the Pendant. In fact, it was a lot of fun to step away from all the serious, sober fiction I normally read and escape to the fantastical and energetic world of this book. I tore through the story, enjoying every last minute of it.

Max Quick is an orphaned 12-year old with amnesia, stuck in a lousy home for boys in California. While Max is running away from the school, something very strange happens. Time suddenly stops. All around him, people are frozen in space. Confused and concerned, Max wanders through town alone. But he soon discovers that he is not actually alone. Two other people seem to be with him in the "pocket" of normal time and space. The first, Siren, is a scar-lashed and threatening man, who seems to know more about Max than Max knows about himself. The second, Casey, is a girl Max's age who quickly becomes his best friend. Suddenly, Max and Casey find themselves in the middle of a eons-old battle between aliens and humans, and they must use all their skills to learn how they can save Earth.

This is the first book in a series, and I'll definitely be curious to read the next installment. I found the world of The Pocket and the Pendant to be very inventive and charming, filled with creative sci-fi and fantasy elements. If I was a 10-year old boy, I would be obsessed! I'm certainly glad to have discovered it, as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pocket and the Pendant.