David's Reviews > 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health

21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal D. Barnard

Feb 02, 2011

bookshelves: health, nutrition
Read in February, 2017 , read count: 1

I just re-read this book and I still think that it is wonderful! I strongly recommend this book for anybody who eats, especially for those concerned about health and nutrition. This book is designed for optimal nutrition, and I agree with the book 100%. Why? Because eleven years ago, I started following the diet described in this book, and my excess pounds just floated away. It was easy--it was not an exercise in will power, because after a few weeks, I did not miss any unhealthy foods (except for cheese--I still crave cheese occasionally). And since losing a massive amount of excess weight, I have not gained it back!

I have read other excellent books that describe the same diet/lifestyle. But Dr. Barnard's emphasis is a little different. He recommends that a newcomer to this diet just try it out for 21 days, and "get the feel for it." This is an excellent approach, because a newcomer is unlikely to agree to make this a permanent lifestyle change, until after he or she has tried it out. After trying it out for a few weeks, you will notice amazing changes--I sure did! If your blood pressure is high, it will decrease towards normal very quickly. If your cholesterol levels are high, they will start decreasing too. If you are overweight, then you will start losing weight. You will feel more energetic. If you snore, that might improve, and you might start sleeping more restfully. If you are diabetic, your blood sugar level may improve. If you continue with the lifestyle, your doctor will just shake his head in amazement, reduce your medications, and tell you; "Just continue what you are doing!"

One of the secrets of this diet, is the reduction in fat. As Dr. Barnard mentions, there is evidence that by reducing fat--all fat, including oil--to a minimum, insulin is better able to suck sugars into cells. This increases metabolism, and leads to faster weight loss. And, this may have an added benefit of reducing the highs of the roller coaster of blood sugar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart.

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita David, your review encouraged me to take a look. I got a sample of the ebook and was disappointed to see the overuse of "melt away" but it looked like there might actually be substance in the book. I found a hard copy available at PaperBackSwap and I had one credit which I plunked down to get it. I'm a vegetarian, though not a vegan, so I'm quite interested to see if there will be some benefit shown with doing away with dairy, etc. Thanks for the review. I promise not to blame you if I hate the book.

David I think you will like the book, Anita.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita I found an older book by him in my e-library. It's from 1994. I'm curious how much the newer book varies. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita I finished _Food For Life_ which has a chapter on weight loss. He repeats the basics in pretty much every chapter, so I can't imagine that this book on weight loss has much more to offer. He convinced me and showed the way. It'll be easy since I'm 3/4 there already. Your review was very helpful and I'm grateful, David.