M.G. Bianco's Reviews > Bulfinch's Mythology

Bulfinch's Mythology by Thomas Bulfinch

Apr 13, 2011

bookshelves: fiction
Read from February 02 to April 13, 2011

The graphic is misleading, as I did not read all three volumes that make up Bullfinch's Mythology, I only read the Age of Fables--his account of Greek and Roman mythology. The book starts out with the creation account and concludes with an exploration of the realms of the dead as told by Virgil in his account of Aeneas. Between them, are the various hero stories and othes.

Bullfinch's telling of the stories is traditional and thorough. One of the things I most like about it was his quoting of later poetry that alludes to the mythological tales and heroes. His own accounts a retelling, intersparsed with quotations from the original texts.

The book serves as a good introduction to mythology, Greek and Roman. And works, I hope, as a good preliminary read to the actual texts--a future goal of mine. At the very least, it is an enjoyable read and will help you to recognize allusions to mythology that is sure to be found in everything from Shakespeare to X-Men. (As an aside, I noticed that in the film X-men Origins: Wolverine, Wolverine's skeleton is reinforced with a substance called adamantine, which word Bullfinch uses in reference to a substance Virgil describes as unbreakable my man or god.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bulfinch's Mythology.