Eric's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: norse, novels, fantasy, ancient-cultures, myth, urban-fantasy, sprituality
Read in March, 2011

Well this was an epic! I don't know if it felt longer because I took so long to finish it, but it really spanned most of the continent and many different time periods. One thing I really liked was how at the end of some chapters he slipped in mini-stories of groups of people coming to America in different time periods including the Norse and even Prehistoric.

Neil Gaiman really knows how to get into the head of spiritual person and show things from their perspective. What could have easily been a clash of ideas and peoples, turned into a interesting blend that had a air of reality to it. As you can see it's hard to describe this book.

That being said, there were parts of the book where I didn't feel like I knew the main character's motivation. Shadow seemed lost and everyone else was pushing and prodding him into the story. Gaiman had the character come to this realization toward the end, but I wonder what the story would have been like if the character was different. When Shadow stays in Lakeside and is left to his own motivations it's very clear. And while that part of the story was interesting I think it stalls out there.

And the reveal at the end was interesting, but I felt like I didn't really have the chance to come to that realization on my own.

All and all I think it was a really unique story and really examines America and it's beliefs as only an outsider can.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.