Sue Smith's Reviews > The Exile: An Outlander Graphic Novel

The Exile by Diana Gabaldon

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, graphic-novel
Read on February 02, 2011

I know that graphic novels are supposed to be concise and visual - that's the point of them isn't it!? But concise with hard hitting points - the visual impact of the situation and characters - that's what makes the graphic line of novels stand alone - a picture can say a thousand words.

So to say this book has the same impact as the original would be laughable. Truthfully, it doesn't even come close to the depth and emotion and the adventure of the book. Why it has even been produced in this format is really beyond me and it certainly begs others not to follow suit. It's that old insight that good books don't necessarily make good movies. Well - more often than not - in my opinion. But for a quick read as to what the book was, it's passable.

Certainly all the high lights of the book are in this version - but they seem to come in rapid fire and, especially if you don't know the actual book's words, the plot comes across as unreasonable and improbable and glazed over. Granted, I haven't read the books in years, so I had to stretch my brain to remember it as this one unfolded and I don't really recall the main character being quite so chesty. (Maybe that's just a graphic novel thing too, but it really seemed alittle unnecessary and distracting). Plus how the main heroine even comes into her situation being caught in the past comes across as ...well... silly I suppose. It's like you know something happened but you must have missed the intro to it, but it isn't there. I felt that they have assumed that you would have read the book before looking at the graphic novel so you would know what actually happens in the story. So the graphic version is lacking - well - depth, emotion and plot. Where as the original one by Diana Galbaldon leaves you wanting more, this one you're just glad is over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Exile.