Riley Edgewood's Reviews > A Need So Beautiful

A Need So Beautiful by Suzanne Young

May 31, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from February 04 to 06, 2011 , read count: 1

I'm a fan of Suzanne's Naughty List series, so I was nervous because A Need So Beautiful sounded so different. (Well, it also sounded AWESOME, but still.) As it turns out, I had absolutely no reason to be nervous. Yes, this book is way different, but it's also way way way good. I'll definitely be reading the sequel as soon as I can get my hands on it.

The premise is super original. I haven't read anything like this in recent memory. I wanted to take my time reading the book, because I didn't want it to end--but I couldn't put it down.

The title fits so perfectly. What Charlotte does--her need--really is beautiful. It actually makes me want to go out of my way and help other people more than I do. (Yeah, and okay, I can't tell by looking at someone that their unborn baby is sick, like Charlotte can . . . but I CAN be more considerate, and less self-serving, which is a goal of mine.)

A Need So Beautiful is different from a lot of other YAs out there for two reason: 1) Charlotte starts the book off already knowing that she's different/paranormal and 2) she's already dating the love interest. Don't get me wrong, I love books that take me along the discovery / falling in love path--and this book doesn't disappoint! It's just in a different way. In a clever way. In a more . . . in depth way. Speaking of love: Harlin is Charlotte's boyfriend, and he is the PERFECT kind of bad boy with a good heart. He's rough around the edges, sure, but not once did I get mad at Charlotte for dating him. And that can be kind of rare, for me, with the bad boys in books.

Another thing that sets A Need So Beautiful apart is that while it is definitely paranormal, it doesn't hold back in the slightest from more contemporary-type character troubles. I loved that the secondary characters face very real issues--the same ones that some of today's teenagers face. The same ones that end up getting pushed to the back burner in a lot of the other YA paranormals out there. Suzanne fits them in organically and without overcrowding the plot.

So, clearly, I recommend this book. You should get yourself a copy as soon as you can.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Need So Beautiful.