Jennifer's Reviews > Call Me Irresistible

Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2011

Oy. SEP, this book was really off for me. This book seemed like is should follow the SEP formula. Heroine is in THE WORST situation ever, made worse by the hero. The hero has good reasons for being a jerk and, over the course of the novel, we come to respect both the hero and the heroine, forgive them for their flaws and generally cheer them on. In Call Me Irresistible, the heroine is in a bad situation and the hero only make is worse. But I never came to respect them. Or care for them. I finished the novel only because SEP is such a strong writer that I was hoping she would pull it off in the end for me. But she never did.

And that was just the h/h. I HATED all the secondary characters, even the ones I'd liked in other books. She tried to give them a reason/excuse for treating Meg horribly and then wanted you to forgive them because they were just trying to protect Ted and the town. Only they tried to prostitute her. They are grown women and they acted like middle school students. Unacceptable. Also, SEP normally manages to brand-name drop without it feeling like an advertisement, but that wasn't the case with this book. The famous people didn't feel real, they just felt cardboard. Plus, there were some minor errors of possibility (Dear Jane wondered where the fact-checking/historical accuracy was in contemporary fiction). Normally I don't care, but if I'm not into the book anyway, I notice. And I wasn't in the book and I noticed.

Why not one star? SEP is still a fantastic writing. The book moved along and I chuckled. I finished it because her writing is so strong and I'll read her next book. However, if her next book is like this one, she might not stay an autoread for me.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me Irresistible.