Susan's Reviews > There's Cake in My Future

There's Cake in My Future by Kim Gruenenfelder

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit-god-help-me, fiction, good-chick-lit, fun-fiction
Read in February, 2011

One of the pleasures of sitting down with a Kim Gruenenfelder book is the knowledge that you're being treated to good writing, especially dialogue. I've read three of her books, al written in first person. "Cake" takes a slightly different route by breaking the narrative down among three best friends, one of whom is about to get married. She manages to give each a distinct personality and these are women you'd like. Nicole is the bride to be, Seema is the arts professional in love with her best friend and Melissa is the owner of a stable, or stale, relationship. The catalyst for the action is a bridal shower complete with cake pull: charms hidden in the cake are symbols of your future. Nicole has rigged the cake for certain people and yet, somehow, the "wrong" charms get pulled.

Like I said, Ms. Gruenenfelder's characters come across as genuine, likeable without being saccharine or perfect and sane (although Melissa wanders a little too close to Bridget Jones unreasonable craziness).

This is a book to buy, kick back and read. Time spent with Kim Gruenenfelder is not time wasted.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There's Cake in My Future.