Winter.'s Reviews > Shadowspell

Shadowspell by Jenna Black

Feb 02, 11

Recommended for: People who collect covers
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Where to begin...

First of all, the Faeriewalker book covers are amazing gorgeous, and eyecatching. I suppose this is a lesson on why you don't judge a book by it's cover. Whereas the cover is beautiful, the actual story is the exact opposite.

The book starts off with the main character, Dana, in a movie theater with Ethan (the faerie hottie. Ack, I hate that word). She keeps repeating how it is not a date, just a friendly hang out. Then why, Dana, are you letting Ethan grope you and feel you up? I was already annoyed with her by page 4. Seriously, stop telling me how you wish you could act and freakin' do it!

Not only is she whiney and annoying, she's a slut.

"By the end of the movie, I was so turned on it was a minor miracle I hadn't started tearing my clothes off in public." - Page 6

At that point I was struggling not to burst out laughing in the middle of my math class. Why would Black ever think put something like that in a book? It sounds so unprofessional. For a moment I thought I was reading a preteen fanfic. Does she really think that teenage girls have such little control over themselves?

I guess that's why Dana was so petrified when she sold her virginity to the Elking. Ugh. I'm not even going to bother typing a rant about how dumb that was.

And she's always breathless! Everytime she has a close encounter with anything that has male parts she's breathless. I'm surprised she hasn't died from asphyxiation yet! Being 'unable' to move her hand from Keane's lap, rubbing up against the Elking, and the little theater fiasco with Ethan. If anything we should all be wondering how she's still a virgin to being with.

Then there was this lovely opportunity to make the Elking promise not to kill her when they "seal the deal". What does she do? She blatantly refuses. Not that I have a problem with her dying, but that was just beyond stupid.

Is it just me or does this seem to be like The Immortals series? Oh no the two main characters can't have sex! What else are we to do??? *cue dramatic sigh & exaggerated tears* Sit and talk at some restaurant in some understandable attempt to get to know each other??? Hold hands while taking a refeshing walk around a park??? No, that's crazy talk! The only thing being a couple is good for is sex!

The plot was pratically nonexistant. Most of the time you're reading about Dana's and her female accomplice's (I can't even remember her name, how sad.) adventures through Avalon and the consequences of Dana's idoticy. The ending is Dana being a "realist" and accepting the fact that Ethan will ditch her over the no-sex situation, while admitting she's not so much the "realist" she claims to be. The end.

In retrospect I can't understand what I loved about the first book, Glimmerglass. Though, as much as I hate this series (mainly Dana) I will be buying the next book if for nothing else but the gorgeous cover. I guess I'm trapped under their spell after all. *sigh*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowspell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cara I totally noticed the breathless thing too! Your review cracked me up.