Sarah (Workaday Reads)'s Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, netgalley, 5-star-in-2011
Read from February 02 to 04, 2011

Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson is a novel scheduled to be released in June 2011. The story is about Christine, who has had an accident and is unable to form new memories. In addition to this, she has forgotten most of her adult life, and wakes up every day as a stranger in her own home.

Reading this story, I felt sadness and frustration. Both for Christine, and her husband Ben. I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to wake up every day and have no idea who you are, or what has happen during the past few decades. I think it would be equally as horrible to live with a person like that. To have to explain who you are, and who they are every day. I don't think I would have the patience.

I found Christine's character to be very real. She felt a gamut of emotions, and it seemed like you were privy to her version of life, feeling and living right along side her.

I didn't really believe the character of Dr Nash though. He seemed very cardboard-like, and just there. Not the professional you would think, or even like an obsessive researcher, which is how I think he is supposed to come off.

Overall, I was very impressed. I didn't guess the twist until right near the end, when everything started to come together. This was a very interesting, and at times, emotional read. Definitely worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.

02/02/2011 page 72