KatLynne's Reviews > Lover Awakened

Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward

Z

My dear friend Karla and I went on this emotional roller coaster of a ride together. It was so much fun and I enjoyed every minute! Her unique way with words and her humor kept me in stitches. Thank you sweet Karla for reading this with me and to all our friends for their encouragement along the way!

Whew...What a story! There is no way I can do a review and do justice to this book. Zsadist's story was everything and more that I was told. I have fallen hard for another one of JRW's brothers! Below are just a few of my thoughts/feelings.

Zsadist is without a doubt one of the most tortured heroes I’ve read. He broke me. My heart shattered. His deep feelings of unworth tore me to shreds! His self loathing is palpable and the intense anguish he endures each day left me in pain. His intense self hatred at times was difficult to read.

As the author reveals his past in small portions, my heart ached more. And when all was told, a nursery rhyme came to mind, Humpty Dumpty...all shattered to pieces never to be put together again. No, I promise I didn't relate this warrior with the fat egg, only the results of their fall. I soon learned the horrifying scar he wears on his face is nothing compared to his inner anguish.

“Ruined, not broken” ----Heartbreaking words issued as a warning to the heroine, Bella, to stay clear of this brother!

And what a heroine! Bella is so easy to love and I admired her inner strength and her determination.

Portions of their story are absolutely sizzling hot and heart wrenching! It had me crying, laughing, cursing, holding my breath in fear, gasping in awe, and at times, fighting mad! But Oh my, what a love story! Intense, hot, emotional, tender; unfortunately, their love is fraught by Z's demons!

In addition to Zsadist and Bella’s story, this book is slam full to the brim! There is a heart breaking scene that had me in tears, and I mean crying heartbroken tears! I was even mad at the author! I also learned how much one can hate a lesser! I wanted to pouf him out of their world myself!! And OMGosh, the love I have for Phury, who is Zsadist’s twin brother! The sacrifices he made is a beautiful thing and there is one particular scene that I nearly cried buckets! And what’s up with V and Butch and (view spoiler) I must read Butch’s story next! And last but in no way least, there is a scene that had me gulping in total, shocked, didn’t see that coming surprise!

While this was an amazing, intense and emotional read, and one that I loved, I needed more Zsadist and Bella alone time. I felt there just wasn't enough intimacy given to this couple, especially toward the end. Also, while I loved the epilogue, I wished for more.

Thanks again sweet Karla! It was so much fun sharing our thoughts and feelings along the way:) *Hugs* ♥

A great big thank you to my dear friends Dhes, Dorsey, Jaynie and Dee who encouraged me to start this series! I am totally hooked and off to Butch's story:)!

One of my fav pics of Zsadist and Bella..... (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Awakened.

Quotes KatLynne Liked

J.R. Ward
“I was dead until you found me, though I breathed. I was sightless, though I could see. And then you came...and I was awakened.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Awakened

J.R. Ward
“He knew he was being overbearing as hell, but he couldn't help it. He was a bonded male. With his pregnant female. There were few things on the planet more aggressive or dangerous. And those bastards were called hurricanes and tornadoes.”
J.R. Ward, Lover Awakened

04/05/2012
23.0% "*gasping* - Keri, maybe you need to send the heart defibrillator by NEXT DAY AIR! I can already tell I'm going to need it!

@Karla - How are you doing my friend? Emotional gripping for me. Whew!" 6 comments
04/05/2012
30.0% " Zsadist & Bella" 30 comments
04/07/2012
30.0% "Karla, I stopped last night at ch 25. Pooooor Zsadist!!! My heart really breaks with his story! *Hugs* to you dear friend! I hope we survive!!" 6 comments
04/08/2012
50.0% "I am sooo upset with you Zsadist!! HOW COULD YOU?! Gah..

Karla, I stopped after 8 chptrs last night but couldn't resist this morning. Reading two more and now I'll spend my day furious at Z!" 15 comments
04/08/2012
60.0% "*big-huge-gulps*...No, No, No! I can't believe this happened! I'm heartbroken, sad; and sooo P*SSED! Gahhhh...my emotions are all over the place.

And Phury, I love you! I didn't before, but now..." 4 comments
04/09/2012
100.0% "I am done!! I can now step off the emotional roller coaster. My legs are wobbly, I'm somewhat dizzy, my head is spinning, I need to take deep breaths to clear my head, and lingering is a small amount of disappointment and a huge amount of shock.

Definitely worth the ride!"

Karla That's my girl...fabulous pic. It's hard to stop after an hour, now I'm on edge. Will chat with you later and we will set the pace. My heart is already aching for this beautiful man.

Kelly Great picture, Katlynne!

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus I'm about to start this book so will be using this pic in my head the whole time!

KatLynne Thank you ladies. I really liked this picture even though it doesn't quite match his description. But, for me, this is how he is in my head:)

message 5: by KatLynne (last edited Apr 05, 2012 08:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KatLynne Karla, This book is already tearing my heart out! Hope we survive.

Have a few hours left here at the office and then I'll be back!

Diana~ omg katlynne you're reading this book!!! zsadist is absolutely amazing. <3

Karla KatLynne wrote: "Karla, This is book is already tearing my heart out! Hope we survive.

Have a few hours left here at the office and then I'll be back!"

Hi KatLynne...My heart is already in pieces too.How far did you get last night. I'm at Chapter 8, 16% in if you have a Kindle. I was itching to read more today, but I was a good girl. Do you want to set the pace? However you want to do this is fine with me. I'm here so I'll be looking for you. :)

message 8: by KatLynne (last edited Apr 05, 2012 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KatLynne Diana, I am really loving Z's story. I've heard so many great things about this book.

KatLynne I stopped at Chapter 8 too Karla! I liked your idea of reading 8 chapters each night. That works well for me:)

I have thought of this book all day at work and ready for more tonight!

Diana~ That's great to hear! This one was definitely my favorite. Sadly, I didn't really get far in this series. I might pick it back up someday... Hahaha. I do believe that I need to read the 6th book.

KatLynne Diana~ wrote: "That's great to hear! This one was definitely my favorite. Sadly, I didn't really get far in this series. I might pick it back up someday... Hahaha. I do believe that I need to read the 6th book."

That's Phury's story right? Is this where you stopped Diana?

Diana~ KatLynne wrote: "Diana~ wrote: "That's great to hear! This one was definitely my favorite. Sadly, I didn't really get far in this series. I might pick it back up someday... Hahaha. I do believe that I need to read ..."

Karla KatLynne, I was a good girl and I stopped at Chapter 17 but I'm dying to move forward.

Question (view spoiler) I was somewhat confused by what happened.

I was really angry at Phury for how he treated Z, but then I felt so bad for him after he realize that his brother was not trying to hurt Bella. It's all so sad.

message 14: by KatLynne (last edited Apr 06, 2012 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KatLynne Hi Karla. I stopped at 17 also and can't wait to read more! I'm sorry I have to just do a brief "stop by" tonight:( Have a house full of unexpected guest:(

I had the same confusion concerning Mr. X. (view spoiler)

I felt exactly the same with Phury! I was soooo upset with him!

Sorry I have to rush off now. Going to read the next 8 chapters tonight even if these lovely people stay until midnight!...LOL

Talk with you tomorrow night dear friend!

Karla KatLynne wrote: "Hi Karla. I stopped at 17 also and can't wait to read more! I'm sorry I have to just do a brief "stop by" tonight:( Have a house full of unexpected guest:(

I had the same confusion concerning M..."

Enjoy your company KatLynne, we will meet up tomorrow night!

Shelly I just started this on audio.

message 17: by KatLynne (last edited Apr 07, 2012 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KatLynne Shelly aka Shell's Bells wrote: "I just started this on audio."

Hold on tight Shelly. This is one fabulous, heart wrenching read!

I've never tried audio before. This is a book I think I would like to re-read again through this media. I'll check back later to see what you think of your version.

Elizabeth (Liz) You guys make me wanna read this for the millionth time;) I envy anyone reading this for the first time. It is.....beyond. There really aren't words. This was when the series was finding its legs, but also when it was *really* good, IMO. Miss that:)

Elizabeth (Liz) BTW, love the pic above for Z!!! I SO wish I had this book with me so I could read it again ;(

KatLynne Elizabeth wrote: "BTW, love the pic above for Z!!! I SO wish I had this book with me so I could read it again ;("

Thanks Elizabeth. I am completely captivated by Z's story!!

I'm glad you liked my pics. I was so glad when I found them.

I really, really, really want Z to find happiness and peace!

Shelly LOL - I hope I enjoy it as much as you two, I gave the first two only 3 stars. So far the series hasn't completely caught me.

Crista How on earth do you find these incredible pictures Katlynne? Thank you for this eye candy!

KatLynne Shelly aka Shell's Bells wrote: "LOL - I hope I enjoy it as much as you two, I gave the first two only 3 stars. So far the series hasn't completely caught me."

Sure hope you like it Shelly. Zsadist is certainly a tortured hero. And there is so much happening along with his story that I don't want to put this book down.

KatLynne Crista wrote: "How on earth do you find these incredible pictures Katlynne? Thank you for this eye candy!"

You are welcome Crista! It was just luck that I found these. So glad you like them:)

message 25: by Keri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri I am glad you go through it KatLynn...wonderful heart wrenching read. I will do a reread of the entire series soon, especially the first 3 or 4. Love Z, he holds a special place.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I can't wait to read what you have to say!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Your hooked..admit it :D

KatLynne Keri wrote: "I am glad you go through it KatLynn...wonderful heart wrenching read. I will do a reread of the entire series soon, especially the first 3 or 4. Love Z, he holds a special place."

I did get through it Keri but, whew, what an emotional story! It is so easy to see why everyone loves Z! He will always hold a special place for me too! I really, really, hope there is more of him in her other books!

KatLynne Kristen wrote: "I can't wait to read what you have to say!"

Thanks sweet Kristen. I don't think I could write a review that would do justice to this book. I'm sure it would be full of spoilers:) What I tried to do was list some of my thoughts/feelings.

I hope it makes sense and is understood. This book is still in my head!

KatLynne Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Your hooked..admit it :D"

*laughing*....Totally hooked Sandi!:)

Shelly I just finished my review, I wanted it to be all Z and Bella too. I will probably hold off for quite some time to get to Butch's story, lol - still not hooked on the series.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Shelly aka Shell's Bells wrote: "I just finished my review, I wanted it to be all Z and Bella too. I will probably hold off for quite some time to get to Butch's story, lol - still not hooked on the series."

Your not alone Shelly, I liked it, but not loved it that's for sure. I stopped at book 6, as I also hear 10 more are to come out? I have too many other books that await me.

Karla Excellent review KatLynne. Your words are beautiful and the pics...well...let's just say...BRING OUT THE HOSE!!
On to the next one!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Beautiful review, Kat! I love Zsadist, so, so much.

message 35: by Keri (last edited Apr 12, 2012 05:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Keri Great review! Wait until you read Father Mine, Z's and Bella's ebook with little Nalla. But not until after 6, as we get some couple character development.

message 36: by Jill (new)

Jill Wonderful review, KatLynne! And those pics, yikes!! This is also my favourite of the BDBs I've read.

KatLynne Shelly aka Shell's Bells wrote: "I just finished my review, I wanted it to be all Z and Bella too. I will probably hold off for quite some time to get to Butch's story, lol - still not hooked on the series."

I'm sorry you're not liking this series Shells. I surprised myself with how much I'm loving these books...LOL Who would have thought I'd love a vampire hero?!.:)

KatLynne Karla wrote: "Excellent review KatLynne. Your words are beautiful and the pics...well...let's just say...BRING OUT THE HOSE!!
On to the next one!!"

Thank you sweet Karla! It was so much fun reading this with you. I enjoyed that as much as the book!

*Hugs*

KatLynne UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Beautiful review, Kat! I love Zsadist, so, so much."

Thanks Dhes! I would have never tried this series without your urging me on:)

KatLynne Keri wrote: "Great review! Wait until you read Father Mine, Z's and Bella's ebook with little Nalla. But not until after 6, as we get some couple character development."

Thanks Keri! A friend loaned me a copy and can't wait to read more of this couple.

KatLynne Jill wrote: "Wonderful review, KatLynne! And those pics, yikes!! This is also my favourite of the BDBs I've read."

Thanks Jilly! I have been trying to start Butch's story but have gotten sidetracked. And I've had poor Jamie and Claire on hold for over a month now...LOL

I really loved Z and Bella's story. Z is one of the most tormented heroes I've read.

message 42: by Lisa Kay (new) - added it

Lisa Kay Er, could you send that defibrillator my way too, KatLynne? Same mailing, Next Day Air. LOL! Fabulous review – and, needless to say, pics!

KatLynne Lisa Kay wrote: "Er, could you send that defibrillator my way too, KatLynne? Same mailing, Next Day Air. LOL! Fabulous review – and, needless to say, pics!"

LOL..Will send it your way Lisa Kay:) Thank you for your kind words sweet friend.

message 44: by Cheryl (last edited Aug 21, 2012 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cheryl wow...you are really into these books like me and my friend are! Refreshing for me! lol

Yeah, Zsadist does stand out from all the brothers for me as well. And I find myself constantly mad at Ward myself while reading this series, however, no matter what happens, Ward ALWAYS redeems herself and gives you the best endings ever! Closing every situation with grace and satisfaction, while leaving others open for the next intriguing read.

We have some of the same opinions it seems!

Please visit our blog and comment too! We would love your feed back along with ours!

I love these books! Not one of them have disappointed me yet!!! I don't want to spoil anything but if you would like to know my in depth opinion, please visit mine & a friend's blog dedicated to giving my own personal reviews of all the different books I read. Maybe you may gain a want to read some of the same...or maybe you would like to share your opinion with me? Feel free and please do! =)

KatLynne Cheryl wrote: "wow...you are really into these books like me and my friend are! Refreshing for me! lol

Thanks Cheryl and I look forward to visiting your blog. Could you repost the link? It doesn't seem to work for me.

I love all these brothers that Ward has created and Zsadist's story broke my heart! RL is crazy hectic right now, keeping me from finishing.

Looking forward to visiting your blog and wishing you much success and fun!

Ebony My favorite of the series. Z kills me! I'm re-reading it for a second time and it's just as emotional as the first.

KatLynne Lee wrote: "My favorite of the series. Z kills me! I'm re-reading it for a second time and it's just as emotional as the first."

I loved Z's story too Lee! I haven't finished the series but plan to remedy that real soon:) Glad you're enjoying Z again. His story broke my heart!

Caroline That picture is perfect, exactly how I pictured Zsadist, wow, I am speechless!

KatLynne Katrina wrote: "That picture is perfect, exactly how I pictured Zsadist, wow, I am speechless!"

« previous 1