I Read's Reviews > You Are Next

You Are Next by Katia Lief

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, detective
Read from February 02 to 04, 2011

I must admit I found the beginning a little flat. Of course the best bit of crime genres is always the later part, but it was increased in this case by the fact that the precis given for the giveaway contained too much information. In my opinion it would have been better simply to type out the back cover blurb, because it took until I was halfway (maybe more) through the story before I'd caught up with the place where I didn't know any more of what was to happen next! Having said that, the recommendation: "Your heart will be pounding long after you've turned the last page" didn't run true for me. I can't say there was ever a moment I felt fear which was a little bit of a disappointment, but obviously as the quote proves, some would. I tried to base my rating keeping in mind how I would have experienced the plot had I known less.

It's an easy read so I enjoyed it from the point of view that it was a book one could relax with rather than it requiring intense concentration. The style of writing is modern.

It has a decent enough plot, but perhaps a little predictable. I found myself foreseeing events before they happened although this wasn't really detrimental. The domino theme didn't seem overly original and because there wasn't anything to set it apart from the rest as outstanding, I couldn't give it any more stars.

I wouldn't not recommend it, but equally it wouldn't be a book I'd be pushing.

** I received this free of charge through Goodreads First-Reads **

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Are Next.