Darby's Reviews > My Soul to Keep

My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due

Feb 04, 2008

bookshelves: favorites, suspense-mystery, scifi-fantasy, 2007, own
Read in July, 2007

** spoiler alert ** This is a wonderful thrilling suspense novel. I read it in one day because I just couldn't put it down. It was really suspenseful. And different....it wasn't a vampire story but I know when I initially picked it up years and years ago was because it had that feel when I read the bookcover.

The book My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due. From the bookcover: "What would people be like if they never aged, never got sick and never died? Jessica is about to find out. She is a Miami investigative reporter with a beautiful daughter, Kira, and a husband David so long, brilliant and attentive that she calls him Mr. Perfect. Suddenly however, her life takes a terrifying turn. Her best friend is brutally murdered and Jessica discovers an ancient, unimaginable danger that will shatter her life and family - forever. Dawit is an immortal. More then four hundred years ago he and a sect of Ethiopian scholars traded their souls for eternal life. Obeying a vow of secrecy. Dawit has traveled the world as a solider, a slave, a jazz musician -- never staying anywhere long enough for others to notice he does not age. As further insurance with barely a though he kills any mortal who dares to be come too curious about him. For the first time, though, it is Dawit who threatens to break his vow and defy his brothers by keeping his beloved mortal wife and child with him -- forever."

I couldn't put it down. I kept thinking just a few more pages and then 50 pages later I would finally decide okay I need to get to bed. It is really a great story with romance but also with supernatural suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Keep.