Andrea Paterson's Reviews > An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination: A Memoir

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken

Feb 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: memoir-biography, pregnancy-parenting
Read in February, 2011

McCracken's book is a rare and welcome exploration of what it means to lose a baby before it's born. At the core of her process is the contention that "it's a happy life, and someone is missing." The message is hopeful, and yet something kept me from truly connecting with this book and allowing it to be cathartic in light of my own miscarriage. I think it had something to do with the fact that McCracken writes this book after she has already had a healthy second child. She has lost a child, but she also has a child, and I suppose if you are at a point where you have lost a child but don't have a child, and desperately want a child the comfort this book offers is diminished. At the same time McCracken makes some statements that illuminated my own experience of loss and I appreciated her cadid exploration of intense emotion and loss. This was a good book, maybe even an excellent book, but the timing might have been off for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination.