Marleigh's Reviews > Grave Sight

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Feb 02, 2011

Read on February 02, 2011

First line: "The silent witnesses lie everywhere, passing from one form of matter to another, gradually becoming unrecognizable to their nearest and dearest."

Summary: Woman who can psychically find dead bodies gets drawn into a small town murder mystery.

I was kind of surprised this was by Charlaine Harris, who also writes the Sookie Stackhouse novels. The Sookie novels are all about the guilty pleasures: a likable protagonist, creepy mysteries, murders to solve, steamy sex scenes, and the usual gamut of supernatural critters all described in a wry, folksy style.

This book is not that. Protagonist Harper Connelly is the only character with superpowers, and for most situations, her power's not that helpful. In fact, it's kind of left her emotionally stunted. It's almost a character study in a lot of ways, more about what it means to try to make a life for herself and her brother using this wacky alienating power.

There's also a mystery. It's a fine little mystery, most of which I was able to figure out ahead of the characters, but our characters are not detectives, so it didn't bug me. But really, I was more interested in the characters.

Extra points for characters who kept sensibly trying to run away from the trouble and let the police handle it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Sight.