Elise Wilson's Reviews > The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1)

The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1) by Grace Burrowes

Feb 02, 11

Read in January, 2011

I took a chance and purchased this book because of the positive reviews and because of the reasonable Kindle price. I'm glad I did, because I found it an engaging read. It has a great storyline, with a bit of suspense. I appreciated that the hero Gayle (Westhaven) and heroine, Anna were both likable and believable characters. Too often I find myself liking one or the other main characters in books, but not in this case. I could honestly understand the motivations, fears and feelings experienced by both characters. The book also includes some interesting secondary characters, making for an excellent read!

Burrowes writes some passionate romantic scenes, also made believable due to character development -- I could sense the genuine chemistry between Gayle and Anna. The author translates what could have been mere lust or sex into an authentic love relationship. That's good writing.

I am a fan of Regency Romance; thus have read may books with varying plots. What I appreciated about "The Heir" was that it deviated from the standard of endless balls and high fashion and dealt more with class and gender distinctions. It was interesting reading how hierarchy and gender roles defines ones place in society. And how those roles can even be transcended with time, determined minds -- and love.

I look forward to the next book in the series, which I read will center on Devlin, the half brother. I only hope we will get a glimpse of what's happening with Gayle & Anna and "the heir", too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1).