Michelle's Reviews > Young Miles

Young Miles by Lois McMaster Bujold

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: book_club, sci-fi, award_winner, ebook, adventure, lendable-ebook
Read from February 02 to 05, 2011

one of the most uniquely written and fun heroes who ever buckled a swash. in these second two novels (the first pair are about his parents), we meet the young Miles on his first big adventure(s). he's deformed as an unintentional side-effect of a political attack that mistakenly included his pregnant mother years ago, and his physical imperfections very much shape his character. in a more stereotypical story, he'd be completely one-note, either a shining angel of overcoming-ness or a twisted villain with a soul to match the outer shape. instead, we get a witty, hilarious scrapper who's both in love with life and hating his limitations, someone who has both flirted with suicide and won wars by wits alone.

fun and breezy space opera, touched with plenty of humanity, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Young Miles.

02/04/2011 page 302
36.0% "done with 'warrior's apprentice', in which we first meet Miles, and he learns temperance, or in other words, if you want to surprise someone don't burst into the room screaming with guns blazing."
02/04/2011 page 302
02/04/2011 page 374
45.0% "done with 'the mountains of mourning', in which Miles decides he must fight for small injustices at least as much as for glory."