Jenn's Reviews > Elfland

Elfland by Freda Warrington

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, urban-fantasy, library
Read from February 02 to 04, 2011

I was swaying a little more towards a 3 star rating because I made the huge mistake of checking the back page to see if it was actually the end of the book or the end of an excerpt from an upcoming book, trying to determine how much I had left to read. In doing so I read something that kind of killed the ending for me. Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhh! So therefore I'm going with the 4 it would have gotten had I not been a dumbass. I liked this book a lot!

This was a family drama based on the lives of two neighboring families. Both Aetherials or earth dwelling fae, and the trials and tribulations their families face due to deceit, insanity, drugs and hidden desires. All the good soap operaish stuff. Much of the story is based on the 'closing' of The Gates that separate 'earth' from 'elfland' and the effects it has on the Aetherials and their lack of access to 'The Spiral' and Elysion, the kingdom located immediately beyond the gates.

Many of the characters find out what their heritage means to them. Some try to ignore it and live as regular humans, some are curious about what they do not know and some are suffering from what they are being deprived of. Besides for the human tragedy element, this is also a love story and I loved Sam!!!

My only annoyance is that one of the characters made some stupid decisions and horrible comments all of which had miserable consequences that I felt he was never held accountable for.

I will definitely read the second book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elfland.

Quotes Jenn Liked

Freda Warrington
“Rosie, maybe I'm a masochist, but I think the world of you. You're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and you've got no idea. You think it's any fun for me to sit here being loathed by you? I'm in love with you.”
Freda Warrington, Elfland

02/02/2011 page 37
02/03/2011 page 146
32.0% "This is more of a family drama but most of the characters are 'Aetherials' and there is definitely a fantastical element. I like it :)"
02/04/2011 page 292
63.0% "I stayed awake waaay to late last night reading this."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carol. Hey, I'm frequently that kind of dumbass too. I do it hoping I can go to bed sooner. :)

Jenn I should have known better considering it was a hard back. And I was slightly obsessed with that book once I got about 70 pages in. Oh well. I must learn self control. With the books I read on the Kindle I don't feel the compulsion so I'm always pleasantly surprised when the book ends and there's 4%-5% filler at the end.