Christy's Reviews > The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels

F 50x66
Mar 03, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: 2011, cooking, kindle, memoir

Once again more proof that bloggers aren't necessarily book authors. Blog reading is free so one can be generous with the quality of writing and storytelling. Ree's problem, is not that she can't write, but like many bloggers-turned-authors, is that she didn't write book but strung blog posts together and added some new material. The last third of BHtTW is the best written section, most likely because wasn't originally a series of blog posts, polished up and presented between a book binding.

Outside the idea that blog-style writing does not a memoir make, what really irritated me was that the storytelling sucked. Marlboro Man (and it really bothered me that she didn't ever refer to him by his name) came across as "invented.". Despite having read the blog for several years, I just couldn't believe this guy was a real person. In fact, it all seemed contrived. These people are like cardboard cut-outs, with no personalities. That's not the fault of the characters, but the writer.

Another thing that irritated me was her obsession with reminding the reader how privileged her upbringing was. Without any context to temper what came off as entitlement.

In short, I imagine that BHtTW is less a memoir and more of a re-imagining, much like personal blog-posts and Facebook updates everywhere.
34 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pioneer Woman.

Rachel I agree whole heartedly with your review!! Mine is a quite similar review. I could have just copied and pasted yours. :)

Nicole I agree wholeheartedly. Perfect synopsis of this very boring book.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Agreed...I gave it three stars, but now I'm feeling that I was much too generous. That last bit was the best part, so maybe I got soft toward the end. LOL