Darby's Reviews > The Valkyries

The Valkyries by Paulo Coelho

May 23, 13

bookshelves: favorites, inspirational, own, 2012, spirituality
Read in August, 2001

Paulo Coelho is one of my favorite authors. This book was the first book I read by him. At the time in my life I think was the perfect book for me. It is a magical, mystical, and enlightening journey that I shared while reading the book.

The book is about love, relationships and spiritual-self journey. I think most people get different things out of books. But over-all Coelho's books are about spiritual-self journeys. His books are a mixture of well...religion...spirituality and mysticism. Coelho is a Christian, but his form of Christianity is very different then the one I was brought up on. ..

It is a "true" story...a story of a journey in Coelho's life...it is a story of the acceptance of love. It is a journey of love intermixed with trust, faith, and forgiveness. It is the story of becoming our spiritual self while battling the darkness inside. It is a story of relationships and accepting love in relationships.

As I said this book has some Christian based ideas in it, but those parts for me did not over power the book. The ideas that came through were much like ideas that came through in The Celestine Prophecy to me - it spoke of universal ideas and spirituality.

The main thing I got out of the book....we are responsible for everything that happens...in our lives and in our world. And with love and openness to what comes our way, we can change things. If we start to look at the world with love then that force...will give back to the world and ourselves in abundance. Hokey? Maybe but I believe it.

One last thing....a quote..."He knew one of the women well, and had shared his universe with her. They had seen the same mountains, and the same trees, although each of them had seem them differently. She knew his weaknesses, his moments of hatred, of despair. Yet she was there at his side. They shared the same universe."

I can't adequately describe this wonderful book and the lessons on hope, faith and love.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Valkyries.

Quotes Darby Liked

Paulo Coelho
“He knew one of the women well, and had shared his universe with her. They had seen the same mountains, and the same trees, although each of them had seem them differently. She knew his weaknesses, his moments of hatred, of despair. Yet she was there at his side. They shared the same universe.”
Paulo Coelho, The Valkyries