Nandini's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

Feb 02, 11

Read in January, 2011

What a waste of space and good paper this book is! The idiot author takes information enough to fill MAYBE one page and repeats it over and over and over and over again for three hundred pages. There an unbelievable amount of meaningless, useless fluff in the text. Almost worse than this is how NOT A SINGLE CHAPTER IS LONGER THAN 3 PAGES. MY IQ scrore has halved from reading this.

FYI, here's every single bit of real material in the book:

1. If you eat foods containing lots of salt, fat and sugar, your brain chemistry changes to make you seek out the same kinds of foods over and over again, regardless of whether you are truly hungry.

2. The food industry has been packing salt, fat and sugar into procssed, packaged, restaurant and fast foods in higher quantities than ever. This is why America is obese.

3. It is very very hard, almost impossible, to stop eating these superrich foods once you start, because of the obsessive hold they have on a person.

4. Some people seem to be wired to have greater ability to resist this food than other people.

5. If you overeat, stop (but don't ask how).

There. I just saved you thirty bucks and an hour or two of your life. You're welcome.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.

message 1: by Kreestar (new) - added it

Kreestar Thumbs up!

Sheila I couldn't disagree more. Did you see the footnotes? This is an approachable book that debunks food and obesity myths with real science written for the average American who wants to believe Jenny Craig can solve their problems. Kessler is a public health saint but people aren't always open to the message. As he says himself, understanding how we got here is key to finding our way out.

message 3: by Deb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Deb Wilson I rather enjoyed the book, even with the thing about the super short chapters (which I found wasteful space-wise) and that a lot of the info in the book was things I had discovered on my own in my journey to lose 100 pounds. I found it to be a nice reminder of why I need to stand my ground and that just because I'll reach my goal weight soon, doesn't mean the struggles will end, despite retraining myself to enjoy healthier foods.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Wieland I totally agree with Sheila. Dr. Kessler is amazing.