Jessica's Reviews > The Coast of Chicago: Stories

The Coast of Chicago by Stuart Dybek

419287
Feb 04, 08

bookshelves: must-reread

I read this a few years ago, and now don't remember most of the stories. "Pet Milk," though, is in my top five of favorite short stories of all time. I should reread the rest of this, and more of his other stuff, sometime.... Dybeck was partly responsible for the time I came close to moving away from New York to go to school in Chicago, and he is is not at all responsible for the fact that I finally didn't.

If you've never read "Pet Milk," you should. I can see how maybe not everyone would think it's the greatest short story ever, but I must politely dissent. To me "Pet Milk" is the little black dress of twentieth-century short fiction. It is certainly not the most interesting or innovative thing going, but it's a beautiful classic that everyone should own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coast of Chicago.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom This collection deserves way more attention. I agree that "Pet Milk" is a marvelous story. Also "Blight" and "Hot Ice."

Check out Dybek's recent collection, I Sailed with Magellan, especially the story "We Didn't."