Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > The Sweetest Thing

The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis

Mar 29, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, favorite-2011
Read from March 10 to 13, 2011

Favorite Quote: Lord almighty, if his basketball shorts got wet, they’d cling to all his glory. And there was a lot of glory.

The Sweetest Thing is book two in the Lucky Harbor series, and while I really liked book one, I think I enjoyed this one even a little more. I think the sister relationship worked much better for me in this one. In book one, I was a little off put by their bickering behavior, but in this one they came across as much more affectionate, with fun sisterly banter. Their constant jabs at one another made me smile and laugh.

But enough about the sisters because we have one very, very sexy hero in Ford. He just oozes sex appeal. And I love that this charming, suave guy who is so confident in his looks, is paired with Tara who is so uptight and wound up. Since they have a history together, it is fun to watch this pair relearn the other. I also think Jill Shalvis does a nice job with bringing Logan, her ex-husband in as a conflict. I don’t want to give anything away, but Logan’s part didn’t feel forced or over done.

Although Tara is a more, prickly, bossy heroine, I totally fell in love with her. I love her attitude and the way she is hesitant to fall head over heels in love with Ford again. I also found it adorable that the entire town got involved with their relationship. When the elder Lucille posts updates to Facebook and Twitter and runs polls between Logan and Ford it cracked me up.

“Don’t worry honey,” she said in a stage whisper the people in Seattle could have heard. “We’re going to help you get the girl.”

“We?”

She gestured to four women that looked even older than she, all in an assortment of bright lipstick and blue hair. “We’re going to tip the scales in your favor,” she said. “But it’d really help if you’d ever been on TV for winning a race.”

“I have!” Ford pinched the bridge of his nose. “Listen to me, Lucille. No meddling. Do you hear me?”

But Lucille had already turned to her posse. “It won’t be easy, girls,” she was saying to them. “But we can do it. For Ford, right?”

“For Ford,” they all repeated.

Sawyer was grinning, the asshole.

“Okay, that’s it,” Ford said to Lucille, pointing at her. “I’m cutting you off.”

“Hush, dear,” she said with a dismissive wave. “We’re working here. And while you’re standing there looking pretty, we’re going to need a pitcher of margaritas.”

Jesus.

The Sweetest Thing is an absolutely adorable book! Very romantic and super sexy. Although you can read this as a stand alone, I definitely think it would be beneficial to start with Simply Irresistible, where you first meet Tara, Ford and everyone in Lucky Harbor. Can not wait for book three with Chloe and Sawyer!

Rating: B+
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetest Thing.

03/11/2011 page 130
33.0% "I am really liking this one..Ford is HOT. Sisters are fun in this one"

Nicole I'm officially completely envious of you.

Christi Snow I agree with Nicole! I cannot wait to get my hands on this book!!!

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick OooO I can't wait to read this one.