Miss Page Turner's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Feb 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-debut-author-challenge, reviewed
Read in May, 2012 , read count: 2

Attention, this is an eulogy, consider me DIVERGENT fan for life! This book is not as good as expected, but dimensions better!

Beatrice or Tris is the type of plain character that is soon noticed as the honest and adoring girl that she really is. She has a super honest voice that I cannot but adore. For Tris her whole life depends on one single choice. Thinking about the events of DIVERGENT it overwhelms me that they all depend from that one single moment.
For the male protagonist, let me use four simple letters: L-O-V-E!

DIVERGENT has a character cast that covers all imaginable profiles, some are honest, some cruel, full of hatred. Then there are amiable , compassionate, strong, intelligent, brave characters. One should mean that one novel can not cover every single character type or segment of emotions, but Veronica Roth did a very good job by writing DIVERGENT. I fell head over heels for DIVERGENT and its revolutionary characters. It's one of the very first novels that totally got me without a love triangle.

At no point do the story, the actions or dialogues appear forced. In DIVERGENT affection is beautiful in its simplicity. DIVERGENT sets you under a current flow of electricity that feels so incredibly good.

Each word seems to be just in the right place, forming ideal sentences that together result in an adventurous read. In the middle of this action-packed novel that tries to cope with the raw instincts describing men, the coruptness of a society, we find ourselves attracted by a love story that is easy and endlessly beautiful at the same time.

Veronica Roth has a sense for the perfect interaction between time,space and characters. I can honestly call her one of the best present YA authors, because she finds the perfect balance between natural romantce and nerve-racking action.

Veronica Roth is one of my new favourite authors, she is highly-qualified, her writing is super engaging and her words deeply touching and electrifying. Her writing talent is realised 100 %.

This novel has not one single page that not had my full and undivided attention. Word for word stole my heart. If I talked about this novel in a chat, the wide emoticon palette would not be sufficient to describe my experienced emotions while reading this novel.

When I start thinking about books I wish I had written myself because of their pure brilliance, DIVERGENT immediately pops into my mind. This world is so well-constructed, I wish I would live in it. Want to know what DIVERGENT stands for? Dedicated-intelligent-romantic-gigantic-engaging novel to crave!

THE VERDICT

5/5 ***** DIVERGENT- A magnificient novel that absorbs your mind and captures your heart. In a corrupt world, complex characters and epic moments of natural emotions draw you in... beyond the last page-turn!

A debut novel you won't forget too soon. When some people think of dystopian novels as the black-white bookish TV, DIVERGENT needs to be praised as the HD version of them all! I am impressed by its diversity and joviality. DIVERGENT is the best novel I've read in 2011, and so far this have been many fantastic books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

03/31/2011 page 10
04/04/2011 page 150
30.0% "WOW"
04/04/2011 page 320
65.0% "Sleepless night ahead!!!"
04/10/2011 page 496
100.0% "Best novel I've read in 2011, and I've read many many excellent books so far!" 2 comments
05/01/2012 page 10
2.0% 3 comments
05/01/2012 page 65
13.0% "I'm so glad I decided to re-read it. Veronica Roth makes me feel soo welcome in her universe"
05/02/2012 page 487
100.0% "My love for this book is endless!"
05/27/2016 marked as: read
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Awesome review!

Rachel Morgan This book was amazing, wasn't it?!

Ariana Great review! I loved this book too :)
BTW, this has nothing to do with this book, but the cover for Insurgent is so damn beautiful. Can't wait to read it!