Heidi's Reviews > Like a Fire Burning

Like a Fire Burning by Gerald N. Lund

Feb 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, historical, lds-authors, lds-fiction, series, religious, audio
Read from February 01 to 06, 2011

I'm not in love with the series, but I am in love with reading A series--if that makes sense. I'm hooked enough that I know I will keep reading. But I wish I could have the time and mental energy to read the print because the narrator is really annoying me. But as I probably wouldn't plow through a print as I am with the audio, either, I'll stick with his irksome voices and odd pronunciations.

I'm "eh" with the writing style. So many of the historical stories he is telling are almost word-for-word in records I've heard or seen. Honestly, I believe my mom does a MUCH better job of telling these historical events. I'm glad she is the one who raised me in Church History and instilled her love for it in me. But it does make parts of this series boring since I already know a lot of what's coming. And some of the made-up characters' emotions/thoughts/trials are annoying or obvious to me.

Still, I am liking the "review" of Church History in this condensed time. And enjoying where the book differs from the movie (of course). So it will be interesting to move past what the 3rd movie covers and see what else the series has to offer me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like a Fire Burning.