John's Reviews > Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules

Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules by David Sedaris

Feb 27, 2011

liked it
Read from February 01 to 27, 2011

I'm not a regular reader of fiction, but when I find an author I enjoy, I tend to read the entire collection of his/her work. I love David Sedaris's humor and writing, so purchased this along with several of his other books. When I learned that this was "just" a collection of his favorite short stories instead of his own words, I was disappointed. That feeling of disappointment continued through about half of the stories in Hercules, some of which I had to force myself to finish, and one of which I just couldn't. There are some strong favorites here, though, by authors I will learn more about.

"Interpreter of Maladies" was wonderful.

"Where the Door Is Always Open and the Welcome Mat Is Out" appealed to me.

"People Like That Are the Only People Here: Canonical Babbling in Peed Onk" was exceptionally moving.

"Irish Girl" connected with me for reasons I don't understand.

"The Girl with the Blackened Eye" was horrifying and riveting.

"Bullet in the Brain" was a near-Sedaris ending to the collection that I morbidly enjoyed quite a bit.

But the book is an uneven as you'd expect such a collection of random stories and authors to be, and I can't say that I truly enjoyed picking it up every day.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules.