Jeff's Reviews > Daughter of the Empire

Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist

Feb 01, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This is the first book in a trilogy that explores the Riftwar saga from the other side of the rift. Honestly, I wouldn't have read any of these books if a coworker hadn't sort of dumped them on me when he learned that I like fantasy novels. This one is actually better than the 4 books from the original series, and the huge leap forward that Feist makes is that the main character is a very capable woman, whereas the women in the original series were all girlfriends, wives, and mothers, and nothing more. This may be a result of the books being co-written by Janny Wurts, though she doesn't seem to be listed as a co-author by Goodreads for some reason. Like the other Riftwar books, it's not terribly original - the faraway planet the story takes place on seems an awful lot like ye olde Japan, but the story was pretty engrossing and Mara is a compelling character. My main dislike is the world that's created here - a regimented society with a very strict class system and code of honor, where noble families spend all of there time playing "The Game of the Council". Said game mainly consists of plotting, manipulating, killing and utterly destroying each other. I kind of was hoping that Mara would triumph by rising above it all, but...let's just say that isn't quite how she approaches the challenges set before her. Nothing truly brilliant going on here, but it was immensely entertaining.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Empire.