Rae's Reviews > Star Trek

Star Trek by Alan Dean Foster

Feb 01, 11

bookshelves: tie-in, time-travel

Before I got this audiobook, I didn't usually read too many movie/tv tie-in books, and so when I read this, the floodgates opened. The writing is a bit sappy at first, especially when the U.S.S. Kelvin is being attacked by the Narada, but this lessens up into a fun, well-written adaption of the 2009 Star Trek movie. What's really nice about this tie-in is that it gives you a lot more of what the characters were thinking, even when there weren't spoken lines at that moment in the film, and there is a bit more of everyone's backstory included in this written adaption as well. Some moments were even exaggerated or changed a little from the film, this was especially enjoyable when Kirk met Spock (prime) in the cave, after Spock says the infamous "I am, and always will be, your friend." While Kirk's reply was golden onscreen, it's just a good if not better in the book.

I'm not going to lie, the reason I succumbed into getting this audiobook in the first place was because Zachary Quinto narrated it. For those who do not know, or have just had your head stuck in the sand for the past two years, Zachary Quinto played freaking SPOCK in the latest Star Trek movie, and as a audiobook narrator, he delivers! He changed back and forth between the character's inflections and cadences and the baseline narration flawlessly, and perfectly captured the accents and mannerisms of the actors who portrayed the characters in the film.

My only problem with this book was a particular scene that took place on the Narada when Kirk and Spock beam onto the ship to rescue Pike and destroy the black hole device. In the film, Spock simply mind melds with a stunned guard to find the location of both, but in this tie-in, he, and I quote, "can't seem to mind meld because Vulcan and Romulan minds are too different." And therefore proceeds to beat the crap out of the Romulan guard until he finds out what he needs to know. What. The. Heck?! Okay, first off, Romulans and Vulcans come from a common ancestry! So don't give me any of this "too different" crap! Secondly, in the original series, Spock mind-melds with pretty much anything that has a face, and some things that don't...including the infamous Horta which a silicon-based life form! Okay, getting off my soap box now...it was just something that annoyed me.

Seriously though, apart from that one tiny thing, this book is A+, and is a great read for any trekkie, or anyone that enjoyed the latest movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Star Trek.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rita Salazar I'm going to read it, as I want to understand it better cause as they say the book is all ways better.
So this will be my first book I hope it won't let me down. Why there are two SPOOKS?? Intriguing to want to understand.
Thanks for your review as it determined me more. <3